Friday, August 23, 2013

Team World Vision Postcards

Happy FRIIIIII-DAAAAYYY (said like Oprah). 

So, I'm trying to knock out some blog posts on these side projects that I've been doing this summer. I'll be back next week with more (a save the date and a baby shower invite, to be exact), but for now I just wanted to show off a personal project of mine. 

As I've mentioned before, this is the year of the marathon. Which means that the following things are now common in my life:

1. Going to bed at 8 PM on Friday nights in preparation for 6 AM group runs on Saturday mornings (my husband is so pleased). 
2. Thinking I can eat everything in sight because I'm running (thus, I have lost 0 pounds even though we're up to running 10+ miles on the weekends). 
3. Bumming everyone out on every vacation I've taken this summer because I'm like, "oh, by the way, RUN WITH ME."

Overall though, training has been going well so far, meaning that I haven't had any injuries and I've managed to complete each run on my training schedule without dying. But tomorrow is my longest run yet (and I mean my longest run ever) at 15 miles. And I'm really really nervous. Like, already feeling a total uneasiness in my stomach nervous. And it's still 16 hours away. 

But the only reason I know that I can do it is because I'm running with Team World Vision. I signed up with them because I knew it would be great to have so many other runners running with me, but also because I knew that if I was going to make it a whole 26.2 miles, I was going to need to do it for a cause. 

So I signed up and I started the process of raising money, which meant that I did nothing for close to half of my marathon training. BUT the reason I did that was because before I asked people to donate, I really wanted to make sure that I was going to do this thing. And considering I'm at the 15 mile point in training, I'm hoping that people see that I'm serious. 

So I designed a little postcard and sent it out this past week. 


When I first signed up with World Vision, I asked the head of our running group how $50.00 ends up providing clean water for a person for life. It's because World Vision goes in and drills wells, or rehabilitates them if they're in poor condition. When they have clean water, a lot of good things happen (look to the postcard, people!).


So instead of a form letter (like in olden times), I thought I'd come up with a quick, concise little postcard to send to people to let them know what was going on and what I was doing it for. Here's the back.


So my obsession with postcards continues...I'm working on my Thank You for the Referral postcard right now, just so I can have another one to print out.

Next week I'll be back with the aforementioned save the date and baby shower invite and I might even throw in a random summer wrap up post, just for kicks. Until then, enjoy your weekend and please, stay out later than 8 PM tonight, for me. :)

Want to check out other postcards from Vivian Elle? Go herehere, here, and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment